We'll bring the fairy tales, food, and music.
You bring the magic.
You might remember the big Halloween extravaganza we did in 2020.
This year, we're taking on the winter holiday season. We'll be partying all evening on December 21st, starting at 7PM ET.
First up, we'll be digging into foodways - the folkloric study of food and why it's cultural magic.
Then special guest Dr. Stephen Winick from the Library of Congress will whisk you away with lore, songs, and, of course, seasonal cocktails in the guise of Father Christmas.
We'll wrap up the evening with some (all new to Carterhaugh) wintery fairy tales to bring you light and enchantment on this longest night.
We can't wait to celebrate with you!
Food is magic. No, seriously. Our traditions, expectations, and memories around food shape how we think about our families, our culture, and ourselves. We'll show you how food informs your personal identity and the way you connect with others.
Music, Stories, & Cocktails with Father Christmas!
We are delighted to welcome Dr. Stephen Winick back to Carterhaugh as our special solstice guest.
Steve is bringing you stories and lore. He's bringing you custom cocktail recipes.
And he's going to SING TO YOU.
This segment is an extravaganza unto itself.
More Winter Fairy Tales
Did you know we love fairy tales?
We know you know, and so we're bringing you a fresh batch of sparkling tales for the season - stories we've never talked about at Carterhaugh before!
So grab a blanket and a seat by the fire and prepare for enchantment.
All are welcome!
This is not a religious event but a celebration that draws from folklore across cultures.
Expect enchantments from all kinds of traditions. Dr. Winick will be bringing the best of Father Christmas. Sara will be talking about hybrid Jewish foodways. Brittany is curating tales from around the globe.
All light brightens the darkness.
- "Um, what exactly IS Carterhaugh?" - The Carterhaugh School of Folklore and the Fantastic is an award-winning online school dedicated to classes on fairy tales, folklore, and all things fantastic. It was created by Sara and Brittany in 2016 as a place for those who dreamed of elven battles while studying economics, those who have always sworn they could see ghosts, and those who longed for a school of magic to send them an unexpected acceptance letter. We aim to use our knowledge and passion for these subjects to share their wonder, solidify their importance in society, and spread a bit of magic into the world. Want to know more? Check out our recently updated "About" page by clicking here!
- "When will I hear from you/get access to the first lesson?" - You will hear from us on December 21st, when you'll receive links to each of the three events!
- "What if I can’t look at any of the materials that day / can't come to the live events?" - You do NOT have to watch the videos on any specific date – they are yours to view whenever is best for you! This is one of the many reasons why online courses work so well – they can fit everyone’s schedule :). The replays of each live event will remain up for at least a year, so you can catch up whenever you'd like!
- “I’m trying to work from home, my kids are out of school and bored all the time, and I’m walking my dog like ten times a day to keep from losing my mind - I don’t have time for something like this!” - We totally get this, everyone’s lives have been turned completely upside down right now! That's why we've tried to make this special event as little of a burden as possible. There are no complicated assignments or long readings here, and there are no huge projects. We want this to be a space where you can reconnect to the magic inside.
- “I’m just a folklore fan. I don’t want to ruin my enjoyment with a bunch of academic stuff.” - We are the last people in the WORLD who would ruin your enjoyment of fairy tales!! Believe us, we’re just as passionate about the beauty and wonder of these tales, and we know that part of that wonder lies in their mystery. We will never tell you what a tale “means." These tales are meant to be explored, meant to inspire personal meaning. We might give you a bit of folkloric history, or talk about how the tales have been interpreted in the past, but we’ll never tell you what you “have to” believe about any folkloric story and we’re CERTAINLY not the kind of professors who are gleeful about “ruining” fairy tales for people!
- “Guys, I love this, but money is SO tight right now….” - We understand this feel so hard. Money is tight for so many. This is why we’ve made this event as affordable as possible AND packed in all the enchantment, holiday magic, stories, and community you crave right now. Our school is an investment, and it’s one that you deserve - we know our community and the magic we make together is worth it, and we would love for you to join us.
- "What if I hate this? Is there a refund policy?" - Because this is a one-night-only event, we cannot offer refunds. That said, we truly believe in what we're offering, and if there is a problem we encourage you to reach out.
As always, if you have additional questions at any time, don't hesitate to get in touch with us at [email protected]!